Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Boulevard Road Work

I have been here for three years April 4. Ninety percent of that time North Roosevelt Blvd has been under construction. This, at times, makes me feel so sad because this is where I want to live, work and possibly retire someday.  The local government accepted a bid from a Miami construction company, and allowed them to take longer than normal to  complete.  If they had taken a local bid, it could have possible been done in less time.

The beauty of that side of the island has been hampered by all of the trucks, backhoes and other things related. They used to keep track of the progress in the local newspaper. That's not done anymore.  I guess it will take until NEXT year until the roadwork is completed.  Although, the workers DID complete a portion of the road just in time for Fantasy Fest. Imagine that?
       
 Someone came in and bought out five or so of the hotels at the entrance of Key West, we lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 550+ rooms. That counted for a loss of revenue, to some degree. I am not sure how much of a loss, because I don't have the stats but I know it had to be substantial because there were not near as many tourists on this island from October through New Years Eve. Being the first part of March, there are not near as many spring breakers here either.

My favorite time of the year is June through September.  It is hotter than a well digger's butt but it is quieter because there are not so many tourist other than the visitors of the residents. The best time to travel around town is after 10 p.m. Everyone is usually at home by then or working night shift.  That is the best time to go grocery shopping.  The "Blvd" is not near as crowded and no one is working on the road at time of the night, unless it is in a specific part of the road.

Of course, Duval St. is busy, at least on the weekends. I've been down on Duval around 11 p.m. during the week and the bars and restaurants are closed or closing. Lights go out and it is so eerily quiet, somewhat peaceful. That is the time to travel by bicycle, there are not many cars on the road to run you over.

With all that said, I'll stay here for as long as I can or until "they" either force me to move, the island gets a direct hit from a hurricane, or the island sinks. In any case, I won't need to worry.  I love Key West and I have always wanted to come here and live.  Even with all of the idiosyncrasies of this place, it is home to me, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment